Indian IT Ministry had announced the new social media rules under “Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code 2021 “in India to begin the control over the social media platforms, OTT platforms and messaging apps.
The most popular social media companies like Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest , Koo , Tooter, OTT platforms like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar and popular messaging applications like WhatsApp, Telegram and Signal messaging app.
The some new short video application now come under digital media category like Max TakaTak, Daily Hunt Josh, Mitro and all digital news , media outlets are available in the India.
What are those Social Media Rules 2021 – Explained
- Social Media Rules companies will need to verify users with their KYC ( Know your customer ) ID issued by the Government of India and mobile number must be need.
- Twitter , Facebook need to place three governance officers in the India to handle all social media content related matters. They must be only resistant of India.
- Government can request / ask or issue a legal order to tell the “First Originator” of the post that is shared with others people’s accounts in case of any fake news.
- Messaging applications like WhatsApp, Telegram and Signal will need to updated its reporting details at every 30 days of the months. Government can ask for details anytime.
- OTT platforms like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+ Hotstar will show A+ rating in their contents descriptions for make easier to understand, What they are going to watch.
- Social media companies need to make it easier options for every users can report any wrong content before it goes to trending.
- If any post dis-respect the women identity on social media, they need to remove or ban within 24 hours.
- All social media companies need to mandatory the reports on reporting accounts over fake news, hatefully content and others illegal’s activities.
- Government give them three months of time to comply all rules in India.
India has 53 crore WhatsApp users, 44.8 YouTube users, 41 crore Facebook users, 21 crore use Instagram while 1.75 crore users are on microblogging platform Twitter, Facebook, as per government data.
The “Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code” designed to curb misuse of social media platform require players like WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter as well as streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video to appoint executives to coordinate with law enforcement, disclose the first originator of provocative and remove witching 24 hours, content depicting nudity or morphed pictures of women.
Any contentious content flagged by the government or Indian users either legal order has to be taken down within 36 hours. While Nasscom said that it is imperative that there is a balance between regulation and innovation as the world is in a phase of accelerated technology shifts.